President & Financial Advisor
Josh is the President of EMM. He finds a great passion in working one-on-one with clients and their families, especially those with small generational businesses. Through his mentor Ron Erickson, he has developed an array of specialties ranging not only from personal financial strategies for clients, but also complex retirement options including deferred compensation/SERP's and assisting families in estate planning and management.
Josh is securities registered and holds FINRA Series 6, 63, and 65 securities registrations as an Investment Adviser Representative of Commonwealth Financial Network® as well as an insurance license in life.
He grew up in Greensboro and has strong roots in the region. He is a graduate of Emory & Henry College in Virginia with degrees in business administration and political science. He also attended the University of South Carolina for graduate studies in public administration.
Since college, Josh has traveled a great deal, first working in a large national lobby in Northern Virginia and then running a statewide political campaign in South Carolina. Along the way, he has picked up financial and analytical tools that have assisted him in his leadership position with EMM.
Josh is married to Katie, and they two children, Carter and Emily. He is an active member of Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church in Greensboro and serves in numerous roles in civil, religious, and charitable organizations throughout Guilford County. In 2018, Josh was elected by the voters of the county to the Guilford County Soil & Water Conservation District Board for a 4-year term, where he currently serves as Vice-Chairman. Beyond working on his home and garden, he enjoys traveling with his family and being outdoors.
Steven A. Patton
Steve's enthusiasm for investing serves him well as he works with clients to develop their portfolios and financial strategies. Following a sales and marketing career with BellSouth, Steve's entrepreneurial spirit led him to follow his passion for music and he founded his own business restoring, selling, and servicing pianos. The experience of focusing on customer needs, as well as the experience of building his own business provides Steve the understanding necessary to assist clients in identifying and reaching their financial goals. His philosophy of putting the client first will continue as a guiding principle with Guilford Financial Partners.
- Securities registered holding FINRA Series 7 and Series 66 securities registrations as an Investment Adviser Representative of Commonwealth Financial Network
- Holds insurance licenses for life, health, and long-term care
- Business management degree from North Carolina State University
- Lifelong resident of Greensboro, North Carolina
- Enjoys music, golf, hiking, sports, gardening, and good chocolate ice cream
- Member of Westminster Presbyterian Church, plays guitar with the worship band, and enjoys local and international outreach projects assisting others in need
James A. King III, MBA, CFP®
Jim King, who has a keen interest in securities research, analysis, and portfolio design, has been involved in the financial planning and securities business for more than 21 years. After spending 10 years in operations management with Lorillard Tobacco Company, Jim founded, built, and ultimately sold a successful textile company. From this sound experience in business, Jim embarked on a career in financial planning. Jim's unique background in a large corporation and successful entrepreneurial ventures enables him to fully understand that financial planning is most effective when considering the specific needs of the client. There is no "one size fits all" solution in sound financial planning. As a result, Jim founded Austin Financial Management to provide personalized attention and specific planning to help clients meet their personal objectives.
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional
- Securities registered since 1996. Holds FINRA Series 6, 7, 63, 24, and 65 securities registrations as an Investment Adviser Representative of Commonwealth Financial Network®
- Insurance licenses: life, health, and long-term care
- MBA from the University of North Carolina-Greensboro
- BA from North Carolina State University in business administration
- Lifelong resident of Greensboro, North Carolina
- Married since 1982 to Marian Daily King
- Collects and plays vintage guitars, is an avid snow-skier, and enjoys sports, music, and the economy
- Has an interest in BBQ smoking and is a member of "Grilla Warfare" BBQ team
- Served as treasurer and on the endowment committee for First Lutheran Church in Greensboro
- Jim also volunteers to help end homelessness and hunger in Greensboro. He is on the Board of Directors of the Interactive Resource Center and a founding member of Share The Harvest, Inc.
James A. King III is proud to have been recognized as a Founder’s Club advisor for 2022—a distinction based on annual production that places him among the top 35 percent of advisors affiliated with Commonwealth Financial Network.
Each year, Commonwealth, the broker/dealer–RIA that helps us process investment transactions on your behalf, recognizes Founder’s Club advisors by inviting them to an exclusive gathering of their peers, leading industry experts, and Commonwealth home office staff. Founder’s Club advisors benefit from an intensive learning and networking experience designed to help them hone their expertise, share best practices, and provide ever-higher levels of service, education, and leadership.
Sheila Wilkerson is the Administrative Assistance at EMM where she manages the day to day flow of inquiries, administrative paperwork, and necessary reporting procedures. Sheila has over twenty years of experience in the financial services industry in project management and customer service. Prior to joining our team at EMM Financial Services, Sheila was at Jefferson Pilot Financial and Fiserv Incorporated.
Sheila graduated from Guilford Technical Community College with an Associate of Applied Science Degree in May 1998. She served as Co-President of the Phi Theta Kappa chapter while studying at GTCC. Phi Theta Kappa is the international academic honor society for community colleges and two-year colleges. Sheila helped her chapter achieve the Five Star Chapter Award, the highest level of award based on service to the campus and community. Upon graduation, Sheila was awarded one of only two "Outstanding Associate" awards given.
Sheila is a native of Greensboro and has lived here most of her life. She is married to Charles "Chuck" Wilkerson since 1994. She has raised three boys and is currently grandmother to twelve grandchildren. Sheila is a member of Pleasant Ridge Christian Church in Greensboro. She has been a Hospice volunteer since 2006.